American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society has many services available to people with cancer. For more information contact 1-800-227-2345 orwww.cancer.org
Cancer Information Service
Call 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237) for a variety of information on cancer prevention and treatment. Interpreters are available to help you.
The American Cancer Society offers a “Wig Bank” that has several reconditioned/re-styled wigs and head coverings. Wigs are also available to purchase at these salons:
- Creative Edge, 1304 W. Sherman, Muskegon, 231-759-2422 (Wig Bank available here)
- Studio 206, 206 Washington Avenue, Grand Haven, 616-847-0550 (Wig Bank available here)
- Heights Salon, 768 E. Eighth Street, Holland, 616-394-0465 (Wig Bank available here)
- Modern Images Cuts, 616 E. Colby Street, Whitehall, 231-893-3330 (Wig Bank available here)
- The Hair Station, 1049 W. Main St., Fremont, 231-924-6670 (Wig Bank available here)
- Lyn Garet’s World of Wigs, 2374 Getty St., Muskegon, 231-733-4911 (10% discount if you mention the Bluebird Community Resources listing)
Support Groups and Programs
Many Cancer Centers offer a wide variety of free support groups for patients and their families. We recommend you visit the websites listed above for program or contact information. Other community groups that may be helpful include:
- Gilda’s Club – Free cancer support community for patients and their families
- New Beginnings Breast Cancer Support Group, Meets at the First Christian Church, 2755 Holton Road, 2nd Tuesday of each month, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. For more information, call Sue Voorhies, 231-744-3950
- Oceana County Support Group, meets in the Hackley Lakeshore Hospital (Shelby) Conference Room, 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. For more information, contact Miriam, 231-861-2314 or Sherry, 231-861-5150
- Reeling and Healing Midwest – Fly fishing retreats for women with breast cancer, 866-237-5725 or 616-855-4017.
- Imerman Angels – A not-for-profit organization providing FREE one-on-one cancer support: connecting cancer fighters, survivors and caregivers. Imerman Angels partners a person fighting cancer with someone who has beaten the same type of cancer. One-on-one relationships give a fighter the chance to ask personal questions and get support from someone who is uniquely familiar with their experience. The service is absolutely free and helps anyone touched by any type of cancer, at any cancer stage level, at any age, living anywhere in the world.
- Alive & Well – Barb Badolati – Barb is often a presenter at Bluebird Cancer Retreats and creates presentations which guide, educate and empower people towards greater health, wellness and wellbeing.
If you would like your support group or special program listed here, we would be happy to include it. Please send us an e-mail
with your information.