The Internet can provide patients, families and friends with valuable information on cancer. However, caution must be used when searching for the Internet. Just because it is on the Internet does not mean it is reliable or true. The following tips may be useful for determining the reliability of information:
- How recently was the information on the site updated? Reliable sites should have been updated within the last few months.
- Does the web site provide contact information? The sites should provide a contact name, address, and telephone number.
- Use caution when asked to submit personal information such as social security number, password, or credit card number.
- Is there a source given for the information? Reliable sites should give references and sources for their information.
- Who is the editorial staff? Reliable sites should provide information on the editorial staff including their qualifications and credentials.
- Does the site protect your confidentiality? Be sure that sites that require registration do not release contact data without permission.
- What is the reputation of the organization or institution? The most reliable web sites are run by reputable institutions. Reputable institutions are more likely to provide timely, accurate and unbiased information.
- Be aware of “look-alike” organizations. Sometimes unreliable organizations will choose names and web sites very similar to well known legitimate organizations.
Please note: While we have made every effort to ensure the legitimacy of all links included here, Bluebird Cancer Retreats is not responsible for any information provided on their sites. Inclusion on this list does not imply endorsement from Bluebird Cancer Retreats.
General Cancer Information
Alternative Cancer Treatments
- Imerman Angels – A not-for-profit organization providing FREE one-on-one cancer support: connecting cancer fighters, survivors and caregivers. Imerman Angels partners a person fighting cancer with someone who has beaten the same type of cancer. One-on-one relationships give a fighter the chance to ask personal questions and get support from someone who is uniquely familiar with their experience. The service is absolutely free and helps anyone touched by any type of cancer, at any cancer stage level, at any age, living anywhere in the world.
- Cleaning for a Reason – free housecleaning support for women undergoing chemotherapy.